A nice looking, but barebones idle game in Unity

It has been a busy week. Unfortunately, that may remain the same for the rest of November due to courses finishing up. At least I was able to get this post up within a two week period since the last post.



It's a simple idle game based off what I made around a year ago. Unlike the previous game however, this is made in Unity instead of HTML and JavaScript. The game starts with a menu and then the user hits play. When the game screen appears, you can then click the button (coincidentally with the image of the flag of Bhutan) to increment. Generators can be purchased, but their cost will increase with every purchase. If you head back to the main menu, you can return to play or quit, and with either action your stats will be saved (though the generators will not run when the game scene isn't shown).

This version I tried to do two things: being able to save and load data from a file (I haven't done file handling with C#) and setting up a menu. At least the minimal of these two were achieved. The file handling deals only with a .txt file and the menu just with either playing or quitting.

I looked at this tutorial on menus by Brackeys for the menu I made along with using TextMeshPro. Then again, I also had to look into much of the documentation for Unity, TextMeshPro, and C#. I didn't look at my prior idle game's code, as the concept of the game was easy to concept. That is not to say this was easy. This took at least five hours to design the scenes, writing up the code, and mostly debugging all the problems (and realizing most were due to capitalization or misspellings).

This is also my first time exploring 2D games in Unity. However, to be honest, all the seen elements are actually UI. It seems I will have to do some more work in that field. 

For now, I won't share the build. As for the future, this will likely be the last I look into idle games. Besides making a clone of Clicker Heroes, Adventure Capitalist, or Cookie Clicker, I do not see much I can add to this. I could flesh it out into my own idle game, though I can probably do more. The next post will probably not be anything of this size, likely another python project. Until then, see ya.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Version 2:The Not-So Barebones Clicker

A Prime Factorization Algorithm that Uses a Text File

Aesthetico Ultimate Designer - A Python Turtle Program